This is being shared here from tedcruz.org to help folks find his Government Cutting Plan and spread the information. Also, for those whose eyes aren’t what they used to be this is easier to read, no light grey text here.
Five for Freedom Summary
I. FIVE FOR FREEDOM
Abolish the IRS, the Department of Education, the Department of Energy, the Department of Commerce, and the Department of Housing and Urban Development. A Cruz Administration will appoint heads of each of those agencies whose sole charge will be to wind them down and determine whether any programs need to be preserved.
- Internal Revenue Services – end the political targeting, simplify the tax code, and abolish the IRS as we know it.
- Department of Education – return education to those who know our students best: parents, teachers, local communities, and states. And block-grant education funding to the states.
- Department of Energy – cut off the Washington Cartel, stop picking winners and losers, and unleash the energy renaissance.
- Department of Commerce – close the “congressional cookie jar” and promote free-enterprise and free trade for every business.
- Department of Housing and Urban Development – offer real solutions to lift people out of hardship, rather than trapping families in a cycle of poverty, and empower Americans by promoting the dignity of work and reforming programs such as Section 8 housing.
II. TWENTY-FIVE FEDERAL “ABCs”
Empower the people by reducing the alphabet soup of Agencies, Bureaus, Commissions, and other programs that prop up special interests, at the taxpayer’s expense. A Cruz Administration will identify all unnecessary programs – these 25 are merely a start:
Eliminate the following Agencies, Bureaus, Commissions, and programs:
- Appalachian Regional Commission
- Climate Ready Water Utilities Initiative
- Climate Research Funding for the Office of Research and Development
- Climate Resilience Evaluation Awareness Tool
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Corporation for Public Broadcasting
- Corporation for Travel Promotion
- Global Methane Initiative
- Green Infrastructure Program
- Greenhouse Gas Reporting Program
- Legal Services Corporation
- National Endowment for the Arts
- National Endowment for the Humanities
- New Starts Transit Program
- Pacific Coastal Salmon Recovery Fund
- Presidential Election Campaign Fund
- Regulation of CO2 Emissions from Power Plants and all Sources
- Regulation of Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Vehicles
- Renewable Fuel Standard Federal Mandates
- Saint Lawrence Seaway Development Corporation
- Sugar Subsidies
- Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery
- UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
- UN Population Fund
- USDA Catfish Inspection Program
III. GRACE COMMISSION 2.0
Re-institute President Reagan’s Grace Commission to assess federal spending levels and evaluate areas of waste and fraud.
- Appoint private-sector leaders to serve on a commission that, as President Reagan described, will work like “blood hounds” to improve government efficiency.
- Under Ronald Reagan’s Administration, the Grace Commission report recommended 2,478 “cost-cutting, revenue-enhancing” suggestions, without raising taxes, weakening defense, or harming social welfare.
- As Chairman Grace recognized then, “every dollar we can stop spending is a dollar that the government does not need to borrow.” Never has that been more needed than today.
IV. CONGRESSIONAL ACCOUNTABILITY
Hold Congress accountable by enacting a strong Balanced Budget Amendment and requiring that a majority of members approve any major, cost-inducing regulation.
- Sign a Balanced Budget Amendment to start spending responsibly and save future generations from additional crippling debt.
- Sign the REINS Act to ensure that Congress approves of any regulation or rule that would have an impact of $100 million or more.
V. HIRING FREEZE AND REDUCTION
Reduce costs by instituting a hiring freeze and federal pay reforms.
- Put in place a hiring freeze of federal civilian employees across the executive branch.
- For those agencies in which it is determined that a vacant position needs to be filled, I will authorize the hiring of a maximum ratio of one person for every three who leave.
- Reduce the annual across-the-board adjustment for federal civilian pay so that rather than receiving automatic yearly raises, federal workers would have more opportunities for merit-based pay increases.
Original Page: https://www.tedcruz.org/five-for-freedom-summary/